(ePUB) My German Question

Recordings & Event Resources Forums Rides & Lodging Board (ePUB) My German Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Carolyn Nicole

My German Question
    Growing Up in Nazi Berlin

by Peter Gay

πŸ“• My German Question – CLICK HERE πŸ“•

• Genres: history, memoir, holocaust, biography, germany, autobiography, war, school
    • Author: Peter Gay
    • Language: english
    • ISBN: 9780300080704 (0300080700)
    • Publisher: Yale University Press
    • Format: paperback, 224 pages
    • Release date: November 10, 1999

About The Book

In this poignant book, a renowned historian tells of his youth as an assimilated, anti-religious Jew in Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1939 β€” β€œthe story,” says Peter Gay, β€œof a poisoning and how I dealt with it.”  With his customary eloquence and analytic acumen, Gay describes his family, the life they led, and the reasons they did not emigrate sooner, and he explores his own ambivalent feelings β€” then and now β€” toward Germany and the Germans.

Gay relates that the early years of the Nazi regime were relatively benign for his family: as a schoolboy at the Goethe Gymnasium he experienced no ridicule or attacks, his father’s business prospered, and most of the family’s non-Jewish friends remained supportive. He devised survival strategies β€” stamp collecting, watching soccer, and the like β€” that served as screens to block out the increasingly oppressive world around him. Even before the events of 1938 β€” 39, culminating in Kristallnacht, the family was convinced that they must leave the country. Gay describes the bravery and ingenuity of his father in working out this difficult emigration process, the courage of the non-Jewish friends who helped his family during their last bitter months in Germany, and the family’s mounting panic as they witnessed the indifference of other countries to their plight and that of others like themselves. Gay’s account β€” marked by candor, modesty, and insight β€” adds an important and curiously neglected perspective to the history of German Jewry.

MP3 book My German Question download. Hardback ebook My German Question by Peter Gay buy cheap for PocketBook on Amazon. FictionBook My German Question read. MOBI book My German Question Peter Gay iPhone on IndieBound. PDF ebook My German Question read online on Kindle.

FB2 My German Question Peter Gay buy on Books-a-Million. EPUB book My German Question on iPad. TXT ebook My German Question by Peter Gay download on Kobo. Hardcover My German Question by Peter Gay buy on Barnes & Noble. Paperback ebook My German Question Mac.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: (ePUB) My German Question
Your information: