- This topic is empty.
November 10, 2020 at 10:56 am #9410Carol BalestrinoGuest
A Journey to the Edge of Europe
by Kapka Kassabova
- Publisher: Graywolf Press
- Places: Bulgaria
- ISBN: 9781555977863 (1555977863)
- Author: Kapka Kassabova
- Genres: travel, history, bulgaria, memoir, politics, greece, historical
- Awards: National Book Critics Circle Award Nominee for Nonfiction (2017), Duff Cooper Prize Nominee for Shortlist (2017), The Royal Society of Literature Ondaatje Prize Nominee for Shortlist (2018), Saltire Society Literary Award for Book of the Year (2017), Gordon Burn Prize Nominee for Shortlist (2017)
- Language: english
- Release date: September 5, 2017
- Format: paperback, 400 pages
About The Book
In this extraordinary work of narrative reportage, Kapka Kassabova returns to Bulgaria, from where she emigrated as a girl twenty-five years previously, to explore the border it shares with Turkey and Greece. When she was a child, the border zone was rumored to be an easier crossing point into the West than the Berlin Wall, and it swarmed with soldiers and spies. On holidays in the “Red Riviera” on the Black Sea, she remembers playing on the beach only miles from a bristling electrified fence whose barbs pointed inward toward the enemy: the citizens of the totalitarian regime.
Kassabova discovers a place that has been shaped by successive forces of history: the Soviet and Ottoman empires, and, older still, myth and legend. Her exquisite portraits of fire walkers, smugglers, treasure hunters, botanists, and border guards populate the book. There are also the ragged men and women who have walked across Turkey from Syria and Iraq. But there seem to be nonhuman forces at work here too: This densely forested landscape is rich with curative springs and Thracian tombs, and the tug of the ancient world, of circular time and animism, is never far off.
Border is a scintillating, immersive travel narrative that is also a shadow history of the Cold War, a sideways look at the migration crisis troubling Europe, and a deep, witchy descent into interior and exterior geographies.
Hardback Border Kapka Kassabova read on Book Depository. MP3 book Border download reader. Paperback ebook Border buy cheap on iOS on Walmart.November 10, 2020 at 9:58 pm #9472worldbeyondwarGuest
Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall | 9781600604294