An international coalition of individuals and organizations is converging on Ottawa (unceded and unsurrendered Algonquin Territory) for #NoWar2021 on June 1-6, 2021, to say No to CANSEC, North America’s biggest annual weapons expo. #CancelCANSEC
CANSEC, which brings together 12,000+ government and military officials and weapons industry reps to Ottawa each year, is a symptom of a larger problem – Canada’s complicity in the global arms trade. So we’re mounting the pressure between now and June 2021 to #CancelCANSEC and demand that Canada stop all weapons sales and cancel its $19 billion competition to purchase 88 new fighter jets. Instead Canada must invest in a just recovery from the coronavirus pandemic and a green new deal that includes a just transition for arms industry workers.
CANSEC is organized by CADSI (Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries), a consortium of 900+ Canadian weapons and security technology companies. CADSI will be peddling its weapons of war at a number of events from February 2021 to June 2021, leading up to CANSEC.
1. IDEX, February 21-25, Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, Abu Dhabi, UAE – Canada has a booth at this international arms fair, which brings together 200 delegations from 63 countries.
2. Canadian Armed Forces Outlooks, April 13-15, Shaw Centre, Ottawa – The “who’s who” of the Canadian military meet with top weapons executives to discuss Canadian military goals and weapons needs.
3. DSEI, May 19-21, Chiba, Japan – Canada sets up a pavilion to peddle its war(e)s to the “Asian Defence Market.”
4. CANSEC 2021, June 2-3, EY Centre, Ottawa – Ottawa hosts North America’s largest weapons expo bringing together 12,000+ military and government officials and weapons industry reps from 55 countries. We’re organizing #NoWar2021 to counter CANSEC.
Our Call to Action:
Between now and #NoWar2021, we’re putting out a call for solidarity actions across Canada to protest Canada’s complicity in the arms trade, by calling for the cancellation of CANSEC and of Canada’s $19 billion fighter jets deal. The timeline above is an opportunity to use these dates as points to rally around, to draw attention to Canada’s role in promoting weapons and warfare worldwide. Here’s what you can do:
- Attend #NoWar2021 from June 1-6, 2021 in Ottawa, World BEYOND War’s 6th annual global conference, to protest CANSEC and celebrate the peaceful, green, and just future that we want to see.
- Sign & share the online letter campaign to #CancelCANSEC
- Amplify the #CancelCANSEC message by using our media toolkit, which includes graphics, sample social media posts, flyers, fact sheets, and outreach templates
- Organize a divestment campaign to divest personal, institutional, or Canadian public pension funds from weapons manufacturers and war profiteers
- Organize a local #CancelCANSEC solidarity action in your community to draw attention to Canada’s complicity in the global arms trade and demand the cancellation of CANSEC as well as the cancellation of Canada’s $19 billion plan to purchase new fighter jets. Use the dates in the timeline above as rallying points for organizing your action. Event ideas include: a lobby meeting with your MP, a film screening and discussion group, a “What’s CANSEC? Info Session” at your local library, a rally or nonviolent protest, a petitioning or tabling event to collect signatures on the #CancelCANSEC letter campaign. Use the map below to find an event or click the red button to host your own! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for organizing assistance to set up your local action.