To: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Minister of National “Defence” Harjit Sajjan, and Members of Parliament
1. Cancel CANSEC permanently and ban all weapons shows in Canada.
2. Recognizing ongoing state violence against Indigenous peoples in Canada and the unjust impact of the weapons industry on Indigenous peoples, the federal and provincial government must respect Wet’suwet’en laws and withdraw the RCMP from Wet’suwet’en territories.
3. End Canada’s production and sale of military-grade weapons, including immediately cancelling Canada’s contract to sell Light Armored Vehicles and all other weapons to Saudi Arabia.
4. Redirect Canadian military spending to human and environmental needs, including the Green New Deal.
5. Invest in economic conversion and a just transition for arms industry workers that secures the livelihoods of arms industry workers and includes the participation of unions, including a conversion study of General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada and other arms manufacturers.
6. Immediately sign and ratify the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
7. Cancel Canada’s proposed multi-billion dollar purchase of 88 fighter jets and 15 warships. Redirect those funds to human and environmental needs, such as the Canadian Labour Congress’ “One Million Climate Jobs” plan, which argues that $17.6 billion spent over a five-year period on public transit (improvements and expansion) would create a total of 223,000 “person job years” and reduce GHG emissions by 11 to 20 megatonnes.
8. Withdraw Canada from NATO, the largest military alliance in the world with the largest military spending (roughly three-quarters of the world total).